How To Bake Cat Cupcakes post thumbnail

I am by no means a skilled baker, in fact I haven’t baked for years; this is just for fun. After I saw someone making fairy cakes, I thought that I would try using the same technique used for wings to create kitten ears. This recipe makes approximately 24 cupcakes or 12 large muffins. I chose to make orange flavoured cupcakes with chocolate frosting and they were delicious! Here’s how you can make your own.

What you will need

Ingredients:

• 500g Cake mix- purchase the ‘just add oil and water’ type. You can easily add chocolate or other flavourings to these mixes and they are great if like me, you aren’t a practised home baker. The suggested amount of additional fillings is 150-200g.
    • 225ml / 7 ½ fl oz water
    • 75ml / 5tbsp vegetable oil
    • Decorations: edible eyes, heart shaped sprinkles, strawberry laces.
    • Icing or frosting in your choice of colour and flavour
    • Food colouring, if you want to colour your cake mix.

Utensils:

A large mixing bowl, a spatula or wooden spoon, 24 cupcake cases or 12 muffin cases, a cupcake tray or mold (If using a silicone mold, I recommend having a flat baking tray to put them in the oven on), a small sharp knife, 2 spoons for icing, a piping bag and nozzle or other piping tool, a whisk or electric mixer and a container suitable for warm water. Ensure that you pre-heat your oven at Gas mark 6 / 200c / 392f before mixing your ingredients.

Steps

1. Put your water and oil together in the mixing bowl

2. Put your cake make mix on top

3. Whisk or fold until the batter is smooth

4. Add your food colouring

5. Mix until the batter is a uniform colour

6. Prepare your cases and fill only half way with the batter. *Important, the cupcakes will significantly rise, do not overfill your cases or mold

7. Bake at Gas mark 6 / 200ºC / 392ºF for 15 to 18 minutes

8. Once cooked remove from oven and allow to cool. If a mold was used, you must remove your cupcakes to cool.  To check if they are cooked, you can push a skewer all the way through the cupcakes centre, when pulling it out, no cake should stick. If cake sticks to the skewer then return to the over for 1 or 2 minutes.

*If you overfill your cases, the cupcakes will rise too high and become misshapen as pictured above. Whoops!

9. Once the cupcakes have cooled, cut the tops off using a small, sharp knife.

10. Cut the tops into triangles – these will become your Cat ears. Note that you will get approx. 6 triangles from each cupcake. This means that there will be plenty of triangles left over but do not discard these leftovers. I warmed mine up and topped with Ice-cream in order to avoid food waste.

11. Prep your decorations so that they are in easy reach. If your frosting is quite thick, I recommend submerging the tub into a container of warm water to help soften the consistency. This will make it easier to pipe. *Warning: do not use boiling water as this will melt the container

12. It’s time to decorate! Pipe your frosting into spirals on each cupcake. Place a heart sprinkle towards the bottom as a nose; add eyes and 2 cake triangle ears. Cut the strawberry laces to your preferred size and then add tails by pressing the ends into the icing at the back and placing the length alongside the cupcakes.

You can experiment with using other things for ears, for example slices of strawberry as shown above. You can also place store bought chocolate hearts into the icing, turn them upside down to get the correct shape.  It is so easy to get creative.

Of course the final step is to enjoy your treats. Kitten, do not eat them all at once, tempting it may be!

…and yes Kitten, you may lick the bowl.

29 thoughts on “How To Bake Cat Cupcakes”

1. These look delicious! I will have to give this a go 🙂

1. VioletNeko VioletNeko says:

I am not going to be humble here- they are so much nicer than the store bought cupcakes that I brought along to the 1st United Petdom meeting

2. These are adorable, I’ll have to try this!

1. VioletNeko VioletNeko says:

If you do, please send me pics! I would love to see how other people decorate or what colours they chooses

3. Erikarae Erikarae says:

These are super cute!! Definitely wanna try this recipe lol I’m not a strong baker but it’ll be fun to try

1. VioletNeko VioletNeko says:

I am a terrible baker if I am honest, I hadn’t tried for a few years… without cake mix , I would probably have failed 😛

4. DeviantMynx DeviantMynx says:

@VioletNeko, did you get frosting all over your paws?? These look so cute! I might try to see if I can modify these to make a paleo/keto version.

1. VioletNeko VioletNeko says:

I did :P… the pics were very carefully taken to avid the huge mess that I made being in the background 😉

5. Toxic Toxic says:

These are so cute. I might have to try this :).

1. VioletNeko VioletNeko says:

It is so fun, even if you’re like me and not a skilled baker x

6. Lunawhispurr Lunawhispurr says:

These are so cute and derpy! I couldn’t eat them oh my goodness <3

1. VioletNeko VioletNeko says:

They really are super derpy 😛 My family at all 24 in about 3 days !

1. Erikarae Erikarae says:

Welp I’m nervous for daddy and I lol! We have bad sweet tooth’s

1. VioletNeko VioletNeko says:

All the more reason to bake 😛 ohhh imagine molding ankhs with marzipan or chocolate to top cupcakes with and have a tea part at the Chateau!!!

7. Toxsuki Toxsuki says:

These cupcakes are sooo adorable and look sooo tasty

1. VioletNeko VioletNeko says:

They really were yum¬ I have been fighting the temptation to bake them again so soon

1. Toxsuki Toxsuki says:

Yessss! Now I am more pumped to make these =]]]

8. These are simply adorable. I’m also grateful that you did the measurement conversions so everyone can bake these. How thoughtful.

1. VioletNeko VioletNeko says:

I thought it would be best because I get so confused when I am following recipes from US website or youtube and I have to keep referring to google to convert it all :L It makes things a bit of a headache.

1. Agreed! One of my best friends, who really helped me learn to cook, is French, so her recipes are not easily accessible to me without conversions.

9. Kiurym Kiurym says:

These are so adorable! I have to make these sometime <3

1. VioletNeko VioletNeko says:

They were really yum. I bet your Boozy Creme Brulee far surpasses these though!

10. I am usually a complete mess in the kitchen, my partner bans me most of the time because I am a complete accident in there, lol. But how can he resist letting me try to make these adorable cupcakes? Worth a try asking! Can’t wait to try! Wish you could respond with pictures to posts cause I would share what they looked like in the end, wouldn’t be as cute as yours I am sure, lol.

1. VioletNeko VioletNeko says:

I would love to see yours, no matter how they turn out. If you do make them then you can always DM me on insta or post them in the Chateau group 🙂 I want to try a few recipes that other kittens have posted and share the results